Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Re-cycled greeting cards into Journal.. Simple!

I saw this technique on youtube somewhere, thought it was cool. I tend to save all the thousands of greeting cards I get and its nice to do something with them. You know when you buy greeting cards at the drugstore they really add up over time, and that makes it hard for me to throw them out! My mother sends me the most cards, any holiday, any reason. So, I think of these cards as my inheritance.

They are made on such sturdy paper and many of the images are lovely.
On youtube you can find the same tutorial I did at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyi3Ve93We4

But, basically I covered all inside writing with paint and collaged the fronts of all the cards. If there was an image I liked, I kept it out! The cover looked complicated but it wasn't and neither was the binding. This is pretty simple. Next time I will make it to preserve all those lovely cards from family and friends that I just want to keep in a book.

Here is some pictures!  This is made with greeting cards, paper scraps, elmers, craft paint, tissue tape (1 dollar at AC Moore) and embroidery floss.

The cover is still boring, haven't gotten up to decorating it yet!

This is one of the pages, I tend to use quotes of some sort since I love so many and find them inspiring.

This quote was chosen as I am having a hard time looking at restraining myself from posting about various political views on FB. I need to look at it often.

Yes its childlike and not written well, and thats ok. Art does not have to be perfect, close to perfect or any where near perfect.





1 comment:

  1. Great idea! Your journal looks fantastic!

    I am glad you found my blog. Thanks for posting my link on your sidebar!

    I have a link to you on my blog also, I hope you don't mind.

    Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs,
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete