Monday, October 8, 2012

Mini Art Journals, I can make 4 for a dollar


 
 
I buy lots of composition note books during the off season for as little as a quarter at walmart and other stores. (I even recycle used ones into journals, the used ones, filled with writing and other tidbits are a great starting backdrop for art work.) 
I made about 8 mini books today, and this is how. First I took a second book and used it as a template. I place it roughly halfway down, draw a line with a pen and careful copied the corner as well. I reversed the top book and drew the other curved corner.  It does not have to be perfect, halfway etc. When you go to cut the book on your saw keeping it too this line is a challenge, but chances are it will be fine no matter how you do it.
 
Next you will need a scroll saw and some masking tape. Tape the edge of the book closed by the triangle on both sides. Cut into the triangle holding the book firmly down, just till you meet the line where the other side of triangle forms. Then cut into the other side of the triangle. This time you can continue cutting straight down through the book. If you don't do it this way its impossible to trim the corner later on the saw.
 



When you are done you will have a few mini notebooks for whatever you need. I use them to also keep a work diary as well as information of professional contacts. And yes you will want to decorate the covers!
 
Made this one for a little friend who will be visiting me next week. Not happy about the ties on either one, hopefully find a more appropriate fiber soon.
 

I started decorating this one using purchased paper (so unlike me) but it was so pretty. These papers come from Michaels 6"x 6" designer paper pad with 24 sheets. I barely used 3 to do the back and front. The paper is reversal, has lovely prints on both sides.
I added tissue tape to all the edges to finish it off, and a few decorations and one of those hard to find posts to use as a closure, but may add more later. This book seems a tad light on deco for me.  
 
I will then be gluing 2 to 3 pages together using medium (or elmers) to make them thicker, and using either gessos, paints or papers to cover lines as needed. (Sometimes I just collage and the paper does no need to be thicker) I like seeing some lines, so its not a must do for me. This handy dandy journal will not fit in my litle traveling artist bag, and is great for making for clients to use in program. I used to give them large compostion note books, I think these smaller ones will be even less threatening (if thats even possible) than those.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment