Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Antique Junk Sculpture

I did this piece about 7 years ago. The objects, except for the seashells, were all from my grandfathers junk box. I was so happy to use them because they had been in that box for at least 50 years!
My grandfather died around 1980 at the age of 93. In his younger years (along with many other things) he repaired statues, china etc plus he made his own molds. The two dreamy figures are some of the figures he casted and painted. They have an eerie dream like quality to them. The other pieces are old shards of pottery, bone, wood, metal and ivory. One piece that is to the left of the female seems to be like an amber rubber. The base is made of wood, and is from some old statute or probably one of those Chinese vases. This piece is weird but I really love it. It reminds me of the things I loved about my grandfathers home.

No comments:

Post a Comment