Thursday, December 29, 2016

My Ebony. He was killed quite tragically on Christmas. He was young and healthy and super sweet. We took him in from my mother when she passed in 2013, he was about 2 years old then. I don't want to talk about how he died, and was not an obvious cause, and its just too soon to talk about it.

He had opened a gift on Christmas in the afternoon, it was a big pink cat filled with catnip. He had some fun with it and had a special dinner. He would lie on his back with his paws up on his chest, he was so happy. I thought he was off sleeping with the others. We didn't know he was missing till later.

We are all heartbroken over the loss of him. He was the youngest of our cats, the friendliest and the absolute coolest. He used to walk on you (and he is heavy) if he wanted you to feed him. He would bite your toes gently to wake you up. He would always be pushing his forehead into you to get him to pet him, or hold him. Sometimes he would run his teeth over you.  He was so sweet, so affectionate.
I tried to paint a portrait of him yesterday, and besides not being thrilled with the outcome of the portrait it was unnerving seeing what my painting was revealing. As an art therapist I felt it would be helpful for me to paint or draw him to process this loss, which seems so unreal.. but the final product is just too revealing for me to share publicly.

We will miss you Ebony. I wish you could come back to us. I can't believe you are gone so soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment